Saturday, January 19, 2008

Schools

A pertinent heated discussion tonight at dinner….

As if it wasn’t bad enough that I had talked non stop for over three hours trying to knock some sense into people who cannot differentiate between plural nouns and corresponding plural verbs!!!

Manu is two years old…time for that all important decision about which school to send him to. I am most disappointed that all my grand plans of letting him enjoy his childhood till he’s four have gone down the stinkiest drain possible! For one, admissions for children born before December ’05 end this October, when Manu turns a wee 3!!

My husband and I share the same alma mater. At least the last four years of my school life. a school that I associate with all the things wrong with the current education system. A school that believed that a child is intelligent only if he/she performed academically, a school that actually had a separate section for the average students, a school that did not know how to spell extra curricular activity, a school that believes in testing you every alternate week, a school that believes that interaction with the opposite sex will only distract you from academia, a school that respects only math, physics, chemistry, biology and computer science as subjects worthy of merit…oh I could just go on!!! Essentially a school I detest.

Aniruddh loves it!

It is indeed strange that being a better student at school than he was, I hate the school more than he does. I do not want my son to suffer academic pressure and be taught that if he stays back in his own country and chooses a non professional course after school, it is because he isn’t intelligent enough. I want my son to play, to fall, to open his books when he wants to and to learn in a way that he enjoys!

Is that asking for too much???

No comments: